Just because Earthwise Pest Management has dedicated its life to getting rid of pests in the Roseville area doesn’t mean that we don’t love, admire, and try to preserve insects. After all, insects were on this planet millions of years before we were, and they play a vital role in the food chain that supports life on this earth. Plus, they beautify our world in ways we have come to love and appreciate.
Earthwise Pest Management just focuses on removing insects from our environments, meaning your home or business, not from the environment, meaning the outdoors. In this blog post, we’ll review just some fun facts you should know about the millions of insects that we share this world with. Contact Earthwise Pest Management in Roseville for all your exterminator needs!
FUN INSECT FACTS
- A ladybug can eat 5,000 insects (mostly pesky aphids) in its lifetime.
- Giant dragonflies have been gracing our skies for over 300 million years. Nowadays, they aren’t so giant.
- A dung beetle can drag its food around that weighs over 1,000 times it does.
- One colony of honey bees can produce around 220 jars of honey in one year.
- Butterflies use their feet to taste flowers.
- Hornets prey on bees.
- Large groups of fireflies can flash in unison, making for a beautiful spectacle akin to the Northern Lights.
- Most caterpillars have 12 eyes.
- A bee can beat its wings 190 times a second, which is faster than we can see.
- Fruit flies made their appearance in space before humans.
- There are two groups of insects: those with wings and those without wings.
- All insects are cold-blooded.
- Most insects live less than one year.
- Insects survive by sensing their environments to find prey. They do this primarily through their antennae (which all insects have).
- Insects do not have lungs like we do. They breathe through tubes called tracheae that is on their abdomen.
- Insects defend themselves by camouflage, stingers, and poison.
- Insects communicate like we do: through all their senses, such as touch, sounds, smells, and by visual cues.
- Insects, like decomposers, eat a wide variety of food and leftovers, helping nature recycle and regenerate.
- All insects have the same life cycle: egg, larva, pupa, and adult.
- It is believed that insects evolved from crustaceans, which explains their hard exoskeletons.
- There are more kinds of beetles than any other insect species.
- All bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs. Bugs are an order of insects known as Hemiptera.
- Spiders are not insects.
- For every human, there is 1.4 billion insects. They would outweigh us by a lot!
- A horse fly is known as the fastest flying insect, clocked at 90 miles per hour.
- The Australian tiger beetle is the world’s fastest crawling insect, clocking in at 5.6 miles per hour.
- The Hercules beetle can lift 850 times its own weight. That’s like a human lifting 10 elephants.
- Locusts can eat their bodyweight in food in one day, making them the most destructive of insects to humans.
- The praying mantis is the only known insect that can look over its shoulder.
- Insects are considered delicacies around the world. Most are full of protein and can play an integral role in a healthy diet.
THE LOW-DOWN ON INSECTS
Insects are amazing creatures and resilient, having survived and evolved millions of years. They continue to thrive and play their role (although annoying at times) in this world, as we have our roles to play.
THE ROLE EARTHWISE PEST MANAGEMENT PLAYS IN ROSEVILLE
Earthwise Pest Management in Roseville invests in Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques to rid your home or business of insects in a safe manner, using as little chemicals as possible. We attempt to identify the source of your insect infestation so we can stop these pests from invading your space. Sometimes it’s as simple as removing a pile of wood near your home. Sometimes it’s not so simple of a task, but Earthwise Pest Management can find the solution, no matter how down and dirty it gets.
As you’ve seen from the insect facts above, insects are here to stay, and although we can rid you of your infestation and find the source, you may still experience periodic pest problems. This was the main impetus of us starting our preventive pest control treatment plans, offered to both residential and commercial customers. You can choose a custom pest control solution that works for you to help keep the pests at bay.
Earthwise Pest Management in Roseville offers comprehensive protection from pests. We offer emergency exterminator services and inspection services. Many homes, offices, and businesses find that our exclusion pest control services, which involves discovering the source of your infestation and developing a long-term plan to get rid of your pests, works for them. We work around your schedule, while offering you peace of mind. Contact us today to get started!